Zach Strief, the famous American football player has Glarner roots
Updated: Oct 31, 2019
Zachary David Strief (born September 22, 1983) is an American football offensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL) - and his ancestors are from Glarus.
A native of the Cincinnati suburb of Milford, Strief attended Milford High School and earned All-Midwest Region honors with the Eagles football team. Besides football he also earned varsity letters in basketball and track and field. He was also an honor student. In Jnuary 2009 Milford High announced to it would retire Strief's number 63 jersey (which he also wore in college), only the second jersey to be retired by Milford. Strief attended Northwestern University in Evanston and redshirted his firs year. By his junior season he became starting right tackle for Wildcats and started in 40 straight games under Mike Dunbar, who was the Wildcats' offensive coordinator. He earned consensus Second-team All-Big Ten honors twice and was named an All-American by the FWAA during his senior season, becoming the Wildcats' first offensive lineman to win national recognition since Chris Hinton. NFLDraftScout.com described him as a "hard worker who has no problems digesting a complicated playbook. He graduated with a degree in communication studies and sociology in 2005. Strief was previously married to former Saintsation Mandy Schexnaydre.
Zach Strief, is the son of Douglas Rhey Strief and Catherine Ann Strief née Barraco. Father Douglas is the son of Hubert W. Strief (1913-1994), who is the son of Willis H. Strief (1891-1946) and Clara Muschler (1892-1980). Willis Strief, who changed the name from Streiff to Strief, is the son of Casper Streiff (1857-1932) who was born in Glarus and emigrated with his parents and the two brothers Johannes (1859-1898) and Leonhard (1861-1882) to the USA. Casper was a marshal of the Cincinnati fire brigade and married to Louise Marlmann (1861-1924). His parents, Fridolin (Fred) Streiff (1831-1914) and Adelheid Streiff née Staub (1829-1913) emigrated about 1870 after a business failure from Glarus to Cincinnati. In Glarus Fred was a coppersmith.
The Origin of the Streiff family
The Streiff families, which have contributed significantly to the industrial development apart from their work in the civil service, have been occupied in Glarus since the beginning of the 16th century and probably related to the prestigious eponymous ministerial family of the bishops of Chur and the barons of Vaz, which disappeared from Grisons in the second half of the 15th century. Hans Streiff is mentioned in 1513 as a temporary commander of the Confederate occupation in Milan and fought at Marignano. Jörg Streiff with wife and son Christian and Thomas and Heini are mentioned in the 1518 edited yearbook of Linthal. In 1532, one encounters a Heini Streiff in Schwanden and a Hans Streiff, called "Ammann", in Bilten. In the rent-roll of the church of Betschwanden from the year 1533 Chris, Rudolf from the Rüti and Lux Streiff are registered as property owners in Adlenbach. The latter is said to be the father of the 1619 deceased Peter Streiff von Diesbach, who is handed down as the progenitor of all still living Streiff family lines. Diesbach is thus considered the original native place of all Streiff families, and from here the family has spread directly or indirectly to Linthal, Braunwald, Betschwanden, Luchsingen, Schwanden, Glarus and Mollis.
Interpretation of the Coat of Arms of the Family Streiff
The family crest shows two red hearts placed one above the other in gold. The helmet is a stirrup helmet with four temples in silver. The helmet ornament repeats the golden wing with the two red hearts. The helmet cover repeats the shield colors and surrounds the shield like a plant. The inside shows the gold of the metal and the outside the red of the hearts. The shield is a semicircular shield, which was often and long used as a crest shape. The shield color gold stands for understanding, respect, virtue and generosity. The heart is the mark of sincerity and is often used in heraldry as a symbol of goodness and charity.