682 meters above sea level
509 inhabitants (as per 1.1.2011)
Filzbach is a village and a scattered settlement on the terrace of the Kerenzerberg above the Walensee. First mentioned in 1394 as Vilentzspach. A ruin of a watchtower from Augustan times in Voremwald, was abandoned the 16 century (archaeological excavation in 1959). Filzbach came only in connection with the Battle of Sempach 1386 to Glarus. The inhabitants belonged in the beginning to the church of Schänis, from the 14th century to the church of Obstalden. They adopted the Reformation in 1528.
Around 1400 arose the so-called Hausrechtsgenossame (a citizen's collective), by which the common use of the forests, the common land and the alps was regulated by the three families, who lived west of the Sallerntobel. Self-sustaining agriculture existed until the 17th century, fruit-growing in the 18th century and alpine farming to this day. The hand spinning mills increased prosperity in the 18th century. The silk weaving mill, built in 1889, was closed in 1990.
1838 was the inauguration of the today's primary school. Already in the 19th century there was a modest tourism in Filzbach. Since 1926, the place houses the holiday home "Lihn of the Blue Cross". After the construction of the Walensee road in 1964, tourism experienced an upswing. First, two chairlifts were built, 1970, the sports center of the Canton Zurich, whose indoor swimming pool was renovated in 2002.
Family Names from Filzbach