478 meters above sea level
2'726inhabitants (as per 1.1.2017)
Ennenda is located on the right side of the Linth across from Glarus at the foot of the Schilt. It consists of the village part Oberdorf, the hamlet of Sturmigen, the village Ennetbühls and the mountain settlement Ennetberge. Probably the Celts, then the Alemanni first settled in the area. Until 1395 Ennenda was assessable to the Abbey Säckingen. The inhabitants belonged to the church of Glarus. In 1528, during the reformation, Ennenda converted to protestant beliefs. 1774, the Reformed Church and 1775 the rectory was built. The majority of the inhabitants of Ennetbühls remained until 1877 to the church of Glarus.
In the Middle Ages probably largely self-sustaining agriculture was operated. Only after containment of the Linth river in the course of the 16th century the flat valley floor could be used, at the beginning as common land. Already in 1417 mill, saw, hemp and flat stomp are testified at its edge. In 1616, Jakob Bellersheim from Hesse began to produce slate tables. Thanks to the upswing of this industry, from the mid-17th century until the middle of the 18th century, almost all households were involved in the production or export of slate tables throughout Europe.
In 1670 an indigo dyeing plant was built on the village stream near Ennetbühls. As a trading village, Ennenda experienced golden years in the second half of the 18th century. In 1750, the "Viennese trade house" Jenny-Aebli & Comp., one of the largest trading companies of the old Confederation, headquartered in Vienna, settled down and exported linen and cotton to Austria, Hungary, Poland and Russia. During the same period, the "German trade house" of the company Markus Oertli & Sohn in Riga and the "Dutch trading house" Weber-Aebli & Comp. with offices in Amsterdam, London and St. Petersburg started their operations.
After the decline of the trading companies especially fabric printing plants were established in the 19th century with the characteristic drying towers ("Hänggitürme"). In 1885, the cardboard plant Tschudi & Cie. was set-up in Ennetbühls. New residential quarters and magnificent villas were built on the valley floor. In the twentieth century, new industries replaced textile printing companies (including carpets, metal goods, elevators, electrical appliances, confectionery products).
In 1786 a school was opened in the rectory and in 1832 the first schoolhouse in the Canton was inaugurated. In 1880 the community center was built. In 1894, the Free Evangelical Church created its own chapel and founded the retirement and nursing home Salem in 1917 (new building in 1987). 1922-24 the road was built to the Ennetbergen. In 1975, the retirement home Bühli opened.
Church in Ennenda built in 1774
Church Ennenda / Pipe Organ